As a hybrid car owner for the past few years, I can attest to the enjoyment and fun that being a hybrid owner brings. Now, I know that might sound strange…and I have friends who say they will NEVER, EVER want to own a hybrid (or so they think… :D). But I think it was a great decision and I love my car.
However, there are 5 habits to be aware of, if you’re considering hybrid vehicle ownership:
- Constantly watching your fuel efficiency on the road – these cars come with monitors and gauges to give you the details on your MPG’s, if your battery is being charged by your motor or your wheels, if you’re running on only electricity at a stop light, etc. Driving literally turns into a game where the goal is to drive the MOST efficiently as possible…AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
- Getting excited when you reach 50+ MPG’s! – SERIOUSLY. It’s a BIG milestone. No joke. Don’t laugh.
- Documenting it – yes, I took a picture. Wouldn’t you? My old car only got 20 MPG’s! How is this one getting more than 50!
- Testing the limits of your fuel tank – 375+ miles and the light just came on to tell me that my tank is running low…but, I should be able to run on the fumes, right? I mean…IT’S A HYBRID!!! (please don’t do this – I only jokingly thought this, and I don’t want to encourage anyone getting stranded!)
- Making note of EVERY “alternate energy vehicle” parking stall whenever you are NOT in a hybrid – it annoys me every time. “Ugh…if we took my car today, we could’ve parked in the stall right next to the entrance of Nordstrom Rack!!! Those stalls are ALWAYS open!”
(Yes, I am making fun of myself in this post! I catch myself thinking these things every now and then and just thought I would share!)
In all seriousness though, I do think that hybrids are great cars and I love mine! I try my best to decrease my carbon footprint in ways that I can manage. I may not be someone who can eliminate every single thing all at once, but hopefully it makes a small difference!